Take a pleasant walk around some of Dalby's historic buildings, homes and churches. Below are listed places of interest along the walk. SEE MAP

1. The walk commences at St Joseph's Catholic Church which was erected in 1921 when the late Monseigneur TJ Nolan saw the need of the increasing congregation. Built in romanesque style, the church features columns topped by arches in the dome, doors and windows. The barrel ceiling of pressed metal is featured in many of the great basilicas in Rome. The beautiful Rose window on the back wall is a memorial to the fallen of World War I. Its 12 panels depict different aspects of the Passion of Our Lord.

2. St John's Anglican Church, established in 1866, the first church in Dalby. Pieces of stone from cathedrals around the world are set into the Sanctuary Wall. The foundation stone of the first Dalby Church of England is in the grounds. The first watering hole known as "The Whim" was the Church of England parish pump, which subsequently caved in and was closed down.

3. Country Club Hotel. The site of the Dalby Arms Hotel in 1858. In July 1859, a meeting at the hotel organised the first race meeting for Dalby.

4. The old Police Station. This building was built in the mid 1860's to house a police office, lock up cells and living quarters for the lock-up keeper of the day.

5. Former Town Council Chambers. This building was opened on 13th February 1932 as the new Council Chambers by the Premier Hon AE Moore.

6. CBC Bank Building. Now a real estate, this building was originally the old CBC Bank, the first bank in Dalby. Featuring stained glass in the windows and pressed steel walls and ceiling, the building retains the original bank safe and a "snow porch" over the front door.

7. Commercial Hotel still carries the same name and continues to occupy the same site as the original Commercial conducted by Daniel Condon. Step back in time and enjoy a cool drink. A Hugh Sawry mural hangs in the dining room.

8. Art Centre. A primitive hut on the bank of the Myall Creek below where the Art Centre stands, served as Dalby's first Bath House. The bore baths attracted visitors to enjoy the invigorating properties of bore water from the artesian basin which extends beneath the town. This building was constantly being flooded, so in 1931 the Town Council built a brick building (now the Art Centre) higher up the bank.

9. Cactoblastis Cairn. In 1925 some 50 million acres of land in Queensland and New South Wales were infected with prickly pear, the greatest example known to man of any noxious plant invasion. The Dalby District was then heavily infested. The eggs of the Cactoblastis Cactorum were imported from the Argentine early in 1925 and were bred in very large numbers and liberated throughout the prickly pear territory. Within 10 years the insect had destroyed all the dense mass of prickly pear. The plaque was erected in 1965 to record the indebtedness of the people of Queensland and Dalby in particular, to the Cactoblastis Cactorum.

10. Situated in Anzac Park, Patrick Street, is the bronze digger war memorial. The foundation stone was laid on 11th December 1920. The Memorial Gates which were prepared by J Shill of Dalby, carry the dates 1914 and 1919.

11. Imperial Hotel. Built by Edward Ryan around 1880 using cedar from the Bunya Mountains which he carted himself.

12. Bell Park, opposite the Imperial Hotel, was named after Sir Joshua Bell. A monument in the park tells the story of this early settler.13. There are many lovely old buildings in the CBD. This menswear shop takes you a step back in time. The millinery shop opposite Westpac Bank still has the cash railway, used to carry cash from one side of the shop to the other.

Check the Events calendar and the range of Accommodation and Dining opportunities in our Visitor Guide.   

Getting Around:

Dalby Street Map

Town Centre

Heritage Trail Map

Tourist Drive Map

Sponsors:


» Best Western Country     Pathfinder Motor Inn
» Dalby Town Council
» Morrissey & Co
» pjWaters Web Design